Friday, October 29, 2010

Scary Stories: Grade 5, North Shore

Translate Request has too much data
Parameter name: request
Translate Request has too much data
Parameter name: request

Here are the winners to our annual Scary Story contest.

Maggie Bourke
Sacred Heart School

It all started at the Halloween Shop. I picked a really spooky decoration, but ever since I've had horrible nightmares about ghosts kidnapping my family and burying us alive.

Mom just says, "Jenny, there are no such things as ghosts. Don't worry."

But a girl named Jackie in first grade dreamed of a wolf attacking, and turning her into a wolf. Now she doesn't live here anymore and they have this freaky dog named Jackie.

Anyway, my best friend Brittany and I found the perfect costume. An Eskimo! Brittany'd be a penguin. Perfect!

I was so excited! Brittany said, "We might even win best costume!"

Of course, I had a nightmare that night. It was different. One nice ghost with a top hat told me how to get him out of the decoration.

At 2 a.m., I took the hat off and soaked it in cooking oil. Next I put the ghost in the oil. I picked a scab and a drop of blood went into the bowl.

I closed my eyes. A little voice said, "Whoa, thanks for getting me out of there. It was a war zone. Everybody was fighting, and well, thanks."

I opened my eyes and tried not to scream. The ghost told me his name is Squirt.

"Why am I having these dreams? Will they come true?"

"I sent the dreams as a warning. Ghosts can send dreams like you can send e-mails.

"Yes, your dream will come true. Some ghosts want to kidnap you because your great-grandmother banished all ghosts from Earth and sent the mean ghosts and I into the decoration. There's a glitch to the spell allowing ghosts to come to Earth on Halloween, or a human transports them."

"How can I stop the ghosts?" I asked.

"Buy 50 bags of McDonald's French fries on Halloween. Spread them in a circle around your house. Wear a really good costume so the ghosts won't know who you are."

I said, "Okay. We'll talk in the morning. Now let's get some sleep. One more question -- will I have nightmares anymore?"

"No. I ward off all bad dreams and bring good."

In the morning, no Squirt. Probably just a dream. When I went down for breakfast, I found Squirt cooking -- pancakes, doughnuts, muffins, pastries, waffles, anything you could imagine. I had one of everything. All delicious! And today is Halloween!

I called Brittany to come over. She saw Squirt and screamed.

"Quiet -- everybody's sleeping," I said. I told her the plan, and Squirt flew us to McDonald's, where we bought the fries.

Once they hit the ground around the house, they became invisible. We got in our costumes and started trick-or-treating. Around 10 p.m., we saw them. We caught the bad ghosts with nets. Then I cursed them and sent them to the underworld forever.

As for Squirt, he moved into an abandoned house. He lived happily ever after.

Second Place: The Haunted School

Drew Feeney

"You might see a school and think what a nice school it is but I, Jake Sharp, know different. I am 15 and I love to long board. Last year when I was riding to school, I had a weird feeling of how today would be. It was my first day at Old Trier High School. I got my classes and teachers, but at the end of the day I came across a classroom, 403. I heard people pounding on the door and I got pretty freaked out. I yelled to the people pounding. Nobody knew how to get out; the whole school was in there.

"I was up all night trying to find a way to get everyone out. I decided to eat at Plong's Pizza, but when I got there I heard knocking like I heard at Old Trier. 400 people locked in one room. I said I will get help, but he said, 'No, wait, you are the only one that can see, hear and help us. I overheard the person that did this to us say we will be locked in here forever unless Mr. Sharp helps.' I said I would help.

"I was going to gather all the stuff I had learned in the last couple of days over nachos, a Red Bull and some candy, but when I got to 11-Seven I hear knocking on a door. I went to see and there was seven people locked in."

He got home. He went upstairs and found a noted from someone named Lockup: "Jake, if you ever wanna get your friends back, find your inner power as a Spellcaster and release them. You will need to find the book in which the spell is in, and find the correct time. Good luck."

Jake thought. Two days from now there was an eclipse, so maybe that was when. The next day he found an unlock spell; weird enough, it worked.

Today was the eclipse. He knew it would take a ton of energy, so he got 40 Red Bulls, 20 Dr. Peppers and 10 bags of Cheeto puffs. Until the eclipse, Jake went upstairs to play Xbox 720. He saw someone already playing. Jake asked who he was.

"I am LOCKUP, how do you not remember me?"

Jake said he wanted to play. Lockup threw him the book.

"I am locked here; use the unlock spell to help me." Jake used it on Lockup.

The eclipse was starting when he thought he should get to the highest part of the world so he can free any other people. He used a transport spell to get to the Das De La Latte.

He cast the spell at the last minute of the eclipse and saw people running and hiding, so he transported back.

The first thing he saw was Lockup putting out a hand to shake. Once he shook it he saw his school, family, friends; everyone was cheering for him.

Jake had fun with his new powers and lived happily ever after.

Darby Williams

My school day started normally. As I got in line, I noticed a girl I had never seen. She had blood red lips and chalk white skin. Her eyes were like black pearls. Her glossy hair ran down her shoulders. She glanced around my class like a rabbit looks at wolves. Her lips quivered. Suddenly I realized why. Ashley, my former best friend, was coming her way. I ran to the new girl and said, "Hi, I am Darby. That girl used to be my friend. Yesterday she ditched me to be among the popular girls. She will tease you for the rest of the year if you don't make a friend soon, so do you want to be friends?

"Sure," she said.

"What's your name?"

"Linda."

At lunch that day we ate and talked. "So are you trick-or-treating tonight?" Linda said. I forgot tonight was Halloween. "Yeah, I am trick-or-treating," trying not to look surprised. "Do you want to trick-or-treat together?" she asked shyly. "Sure." I said. When I got home, a new costume awaited me. My costume was a ragged black dress dotted with blood and plastic chains hung here and there. There was a skull and hair wig with a box of sticky maggots.

I waited where we decided to meet. A shadowy figure in a vampire costume emerged. "Linda, I thought you had forgotten." We trick-or-treated in a few neighborhoods.

We were content until Linda started muttering to herself. "Linda, are you OK?" "I should have told you," she stuttered. "Tell me what?" "OK, I will tell you." The little color her face had was disappearing. "Turn around and count to ten," she said. I turned around "...1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10." I turned around and to this day I will never forget what I saw. I was looking at a misty reflection of Linda, a soul, a spirit, a ghost. "I am sorry I didn't tell you or otherwise you may not have helped. As you see I am a ghost. When a person is buried, they are buried with a special object and mine was stolen. Until I get it back, I will wander the earth."

I was shocked "So you're a real ghost? Linda, whether you are alive or not, you are my friend. I will help you get this object so you can pass on. Just tell me what to do."

"Simple, get a shovel and dig up the grave of Alexander Samuel Smith." I shivered all the way as I walked to the graveyard. Linda, however, seemed to enjoy herself. She glided through the air. We reached the graveyard. Thousands of tombstones stretched out. Linda led me to the tombstone that read Alexander Samuel Smith. I grabbed a shovel and dug and dug. Finally, I hit something. I cleared the rubble and found a pile of dust and a blue star shaped amulet. Linda's eyes looked cold and hungry. She snatched it away and laughed. Suddenly the ground began to shake. Zombies clawed their way through the ground. The amulet glowed blue and Linda started growing rotting flesh and ragged clothing. I screamed and ran. They almost caught me when I started throwing candy at them. Each piece of candy disintegrated a zombie. One by one they turned to dust until only Linda was standing. But I saw something she didn't...the sun rising. I guess I will have to look for another best friend tomorrow.

Honorable Mention: Hallow's Crypt

Matthew Wasserman

As the sun arose on a bright October day, I opened my window to smell the scent of fresh orange leaves. I looked over to my neighbor's house and there was a bright orange colored tree with some sort of luminous glow to it. As I walked up to it, I felt a chill run up my spine. There was an etched outline of a door on the trunk. I skimmed around it and suddenly it slid open.

It led to a deep shaft. As I climbed down into the tree's cracked stoned walls, I heard deep groans. I went toward a dead end with a light glowing by it. I walked up to it and apparently it was a glowing orb releasing the orange aura. I touched it and saw a flash of orange in my eyes. I picked it up and looked into it. Suddenly a door behind it slid open.

The next chamber was empty. All that was before me was a tomb with labeling on it. "John E. Hallow" it read. The coffin was already opened and in it was a skeleton with a sword in one hand and a tablet in the other. The tomb said, "If you are reading this, you must escape now!" I started running and hearing click, clacks and groans. I kept running but turned around once to see zombies and skeletons! I finally reached the ladder. Apparently they couldn't climb! As I reached the top, I sprinted for my house and the safety of my bedroom and stood there, wondering what just happened...

Part 2

I ventured back to the same tree the next morning and it wasn't glowing. Something must have disrupted it. Then I felt something warm on my back and suddenly realized it was the glowing orb inside my backpack! I forgot to put it back so now all the skeletons and zombies are coming for me! I sprinted to the tree, down the deep shaft and into the cracked concrete hallways.

I followed my previously made footprints, but realized I was going in circles. I finally saw a chamber which I entered hoping it was the same but instead there was a pit of lava with ooze monsters creeping out of it. I immediately returned back into the corridors and finally encountered the correct chamber and entered. I walked up to the pedestal where the orb once sat and placed it back down onto the velvet pillow. The door behind it slid open and I entered.

John E. Hallow's tomb was the same. I had to think fast before the zombies and skeletons came back. I wondered maybe what angered him was the fact that he was buried here! I tried covering his tomb up but the lid was too heavy. I heard clacking and groans, then saw skeletons and zombies cornering me! I trembled but suddenly they stopped. I put the lid on his tomb and everything just flashed. I was suddenly in a graveyard looking at an enormous tomb labeled, "John E. Hallow, founder of Halloween." I walked back to my house and my neighbor's house was back there and not the tree. John E. Hallow just wanted a proper burial!



View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment